This post is lovingly dedicated to all of my friends who do crazy things to their eyes. You know who you are. I hope you don’t go blind.
As an aspiring optometrist, I’ve learned a couple of things from my many hours of shadowing. I also have a pretty hefty amount of common sense (@friends how do you guys not have this). So, I’ve provided a helpful list of 8 things not to do to your poor little pair of eyes (they may or may not be specific examples from my friends #CALLEDOUT.)
- Don’t skip your annual visit to your optometrist’s office. Especially if you’re a contact lens wearer. Your eyes change so much, and so many bad things can happen to your eyes if you wear contacts. Seriously. I would attach pictures, but they’re really gross and graphic, so I’ll spare you the pain. We can also see other health problems just from checking your eyes. High blood pressure, diabetes, autoimmune disorders, cancer, and tumors are just a couple of examples. Don’t skip your appointment.
- Clean your contacts. Please. You don’t want an eye infection.
- Don’t clean your contacts with water. Use a contact lens solution. Please. Bacteria from the water could do really bad things to your eyes.
- If you run into a tree and a branch goes into your eye (you know who you are), you should go get it checked out with your optometrist. Rubbing your eye repeatedly won’t fix the damage to your cornea that you just caused.
- If you can’t see, try putting on your glasses. Remember that pair of glasses that you were prescribed? The pair that you paid good money for? Yeah, those will help you see clearly.
- Don’t borrow contacts from your friends. Everyone has a different prescription, and this can lead to headaches and eye strain. Wanna hear a fun story? One time, a friend borrowed a pair of contacts from another friend, and fell asleep in them. In the morning, she found her contacts, and put them in. Everything was blurry, so she took her contacts out. But, her vision still wasn’t completely clear. Thus, she began freaking out and planning to go to the ER. After a while, she realized that she still had her friend’s contacts in, and promptly took them out, vowing to never borrow contacts again.
- Don’t have staring competitions at the sun. You’re literally frying up your retinas.
- If you spill hot sauce in your eye, FLUSH IT OUT with water or a saline solution. Blinking will not make a dent in the pain that you are feeling in your eye.
You’ve only got one pair of eyes. Don’t destroy them. Eye wish you the best of luck.