The 3 most directionally challenged people that I know took a road trip together.
A couple of days ago, my friends and I took a road trip to Birmingham (we call ourselves the food squad because all we do is eat). I was excited to show off all the cool restaurants and areas around Birmingham, and they were excited to eat (of course). The only catch was that I was the one driving.
Anyone who knows me will tell you that I’m not the best driver (okay actually, I sugar-coated it. I’m horrible at driving: stay away from me!!). I tend to be easily distracted and I’m not great at changing lanes, or parking, or driving in a straight line, or just driving in general. And don’t even get me started on directions. If you tell me to turn left, I will most definitely turn right (because I can’t exactly check my left hand for the “L” that my pointer finger and thumb make). Add in 2 more friends who are only slightly better at directions than me, and you’ve got the food squad. But, on the bright side, we’re all really good at eating 🙂 .
Anywaysss, after we managed to swerve our way to Birmingham (We only almost died once when I had to change lanes), we headed on our merry way around Birmingham, and ate ALL THE FOODS.
Soooo, below is the Official Emily Deng Food Recommendation List for Birmingham, AL (because I am 115% a food expert and good at eating food and I obviously know EVERYTHING about Birmingham).
- MAC AND CHEESE GRILLED CHEESE *drops mic*
- Added bonus: they have angel wings outside their restaurant for cute pictures
Post Office Pies
- They have really really good pizza baked in wood fire ovens and they’re really highly recommended also pizza is my true love so I basically live here.
Pizitz Food Hall
- Okay so this place is really cool because it has a bunch of different restaurants and food stalls. They have Israeli food (yummy kebabs and falafels), Ethiopian, Ramen, Poke bowls, Chicken and waffles, Vietnamese, and a whole bunch more! There’s a list of the restaurants and food stalls on the website and boy oh boy do I feel cool eating here.
- This place is a fusion restaurant with Mexican food and sushi! THEY HAVE A SUSHI BURRITO. ‘Nuff said.
Babalu Tacos and Tapas
- TAPAS, TACOS, AND OMG SUCH GOOD GUACAMOLE
- So Giuseppe’s is known as Birmingham’s best kept secret. They have DELICIOUS Italian food and they give you a TON of it too. This restaurant 100% got the Food Squad’s approval.
Real and Rosemary
- They’re known for being a healthy restaurant that serves farm to table and actually has yummy food! Their roasted carrots are really really good aka I ate mine and my friend’s and I still wanted more omg I’m so healthy.
Sketchy Taco Truck
- Okay so this one is kinda sketchy bc it’s a random taco truck on the side of a gas station but they have THE BEST tacos EVER. We always go here for late night snacks and after adventures. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the name of the truck, but I’ve included their address.
- 2651 Green Springs Hwy Birmingham, AL 35209
- So so yummy and Alton Brown approved and also who doesn’t like donuts?
We were so full, our stomachs almost exploded (ahaha look at me ending with a bang). Birmingham’s food scene is really growing, and you can be sure that my stomach will also be growing along with it.
In love with food,
PS- y’all, come down to Birmingham, AL we gots the food